Do you own an electric vehicle (EV) or are thinking of purchasing one? If so, you’re in good company. One in five Americans now say an EV is in their future, and all of the major automakers are racing to roll out new models. Our Solar Trackers are the perfect way to help you replace the gas station with a backyard charging station. A Solaflect Tracker can provide 25 years of carbon-free ‘fuel’ at a locked-in price equivalent to about 75 cents a gallon. For the average driver going 10,000 miles a year, that adds up to a fuel savings of about $2,000 a year! And, best of all, there are no carbon or tailpipe emissions!
Our Solar Trackers ease EV drivers’ concerns over ‘range anxiety.’ Your backyard Tracker produces enough juice for about 20,000 miles of EV driving a year. If you’re like most drivers, you’ll need only half of a Tracker’s output to charge up your EV. That leaves plenty of power to supply other household electrical needs. Together, fuel for vehicles and household electricity account for 60% of average home energy use in the Northeast. The other 40% is for home heating – oil, propane, etc. This, too, can be converted to solar power when you install an electric heat pump. We address heat pumps in another FAQ.
A Great Tool to Help Pick an eV or Plug-In Hybrid
The Sierra Club has put together a useful guide to electric vehicles that with decision criteria broken out by vehicle, location, etc. With it, you can identify and calculate:
- Fuel savings
- Oil savings
- CO2 emission savings
- State and local incentives
- Exemptions/reduced fees
- Tax credits
- Utility programs
If you’re considering an EV purchase anytime soon, or are just starting to explore the possibility, we encourage you to have a look at this helpful tool.
We love talking about all things related to solar, so please reach out to us or call us at (802) 649-3700 if we can answer questions and help you think about how solar can cover an ever-increasing share of your family’s power usage!